Wednesday 27 April 2011

Evaluation Question 1: In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?


1. Title of the Magazine
For the Masthead of my magazine I used Polar Shift font the swirling decorative pattern within the sans serif font adds delicacy to a bold blocked font. I used a light grey colour to stand out against the models hair and also because it fitted in with the other pastel colours in the background and of her clothes. My Masthead is quite unconventional for a music magazine in that it isn't brightly coloured or in your face. However the sans-serif font is very typical of a music magazine. You could compare my title to Mixmag
The circle detail over the "i" has a similar effect to my swirling pattern. Making it interesting without detracting from the boldness of the text. This masthead is also all one colour same as mine however mixmag often use brightly coloured backgrounds. However because my genre is acoustic the overall feel of the magazine is relaxed and calm a brightly coloured masthead would be out of place on my front cover that is why I have chosen muted colours and a delicate font.

2. Mis-en-scen of the images
It was important to me that my magazine come across as a serious music magazine, rather than a gossip/pop magazine. In order to attract my target audience the images had to represent a serious musical artist but also a fun happy teenager. In the large image on the double page the model is looking down at the guitar with an almost serene look on her face. This shows her to be serious about her music, absorbed in it. However in contrast in the smaller photo booth images on the opposite side she looks much more relaxed with her hands in her hair and laughing. I think all my images are quite conventional of music magazines as there is frequently a contrast between serious images and more fun ones this is in an attempt to show more than one side to the artist.

3. Costumes and props
The costumes i used throughout my photo shoot were very conventional of the acoustic genre. They were also conventional for my target audience. Light shades of pink and brown sometimes cream, subtle patterns and loose curls in her hair has a soft effect. Her hair and make up were very subtle creating a sense of natural and not artificial this links back to the type of music acoustic, unplugged, calm and natural. The only prop I used was an acoustic guitar again reflecting back to the acoustic genre. The costumes and props challenge the conventions of the most popular music magazine for example NME or Kerrang because the genre is very different.

4. People
My main model is relatively unconventional for a music magazine because she is very young, however she is attractive and stylish which is conventional of magazines. Also my target audience is 15-25 so my model will appeal to them better as the reader can relate to her and even aspire to be as successful as her. 15-25 year olds are much more interested in a young fun artist than an older serious musician. She represents a solo artist which is very conventional for acoustic and folk artists. 

5. Title font and style
I have used the same font for the mast head and the contents title, this is conventional of magazines to have the masthead on the contents page. For my masthead I have put a very thin black outline around it to define the pattern more. Also by adding a drop shadow the masthead is lifted from the page and is far more visible. For the title of my feature page I have used a completely new font. this is not conventional of a music magazine as they often use the same fonts throughout. However in this case I wanted it to stand out as being the most important story and so therefore it was necessary to use a different font.

6. Written Content
The content of my magazine maintains the conventions of a typical music magazine. I have included interviews, reviews, competitions and tailored my contents to my specific genre. In the interview I have stuck to a typical Question and Answer form. Questions include asking about albums, festival gigs, where her inspiration comes from, Brit awards (which the target audience will instantly recognise and associate with) and our musical icons. The standfirst is very conventional in introducing the artist, summing up her career so far and being generally flattering. 

No comments:

Post a Comment